Almond Chocolate Cake


I went home to my parents’ house this weekend. We had a lovely family time, my sister was in town too. It was wonderful. My mother told me I was eating too quickly. My father refused to see the movie we picked out for the family cinema trip. My sister did not like my new hair dye and told me so very bluntly. My grandmother was trying to figure what the heck was going on. I made chocolate cake. We spend hours sitting together around the fireplace, had several good laughs and talked about life and whatnot. Man, I love my family. Good to be home once in a while. Hope you are off to great week!


Ingredients


150ml regular olive oil
200g sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
200g finely ground almonds
1 tsp. baking powder
4-5 tbsp. all-purpose flour
50g non-sweetened cocoa
25ml espresso
100ml hot water, recently boiled

This is a very straight forward no-fuss chocolate cake, slightly adapted from Nigella Lawson. Mix together the oil (yes, please use olive oil, its great) and the sugar, and whisk in one egg at a time until creamy and thick. Then add the other ingredients in the above stated order, mix until everything is combined.  




Oil the springform cake tin and dust it off with cocoa (like you would usually do with flour). Bake at a 175°C oven for about 45 minutes. Its divine served warm with some heavy cream whipped with some powdered sugar and Cointreau or Grand Marnier or maybe some Bourbon? Liquor and chocolate. Family and fireplace. The perfect combination.

  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment