Rosewater Crepes with Blood Orange Compote



Initially I planned to make a delicious cheese cake and invite all my friends for coffee. I made myself crepes with blood orange compote instead and ate it on my couch, with my cat sitting next to me, watching Gilmore Girls for 500th time. You think that sounds pathetic? Well, I don’t. I am a firm believer in doing what’s best for you. And if you don’t want to host and make everyone else happy, well make yourself happy instead. A big yeah for self-indulgence! Take a self-pampering day and have fun with it, people!



Ingredients

Crepes
120g all-purpose flour
2 eggs
120ml milk
120ml water
1/4tsp. salt
few drops of rosewater

Compote
2 blood oranges, sliced
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbsp. white caster sugar

Mix all the ingredients together firmly so there are no lumps left. If you do not have rosewater, do not bother, it tastes wonderful without (although the rosewater gives a special aromatic scent to the crepes). Let the batter sit, while you let the blood oranges, sugar and vanilla bubble away for a short bit. Aren’t blood oranges the most beautiful fruit by the way?
Heat a pan over a medium high heat, and pour the batter in with a ladle. The secret to a thin crepe, without any special equipment, is to QUICKLY spread the batter in smooth round circles with the bottom of the ladle. It sounds harder than it is! It should take only a minute or so until the crepe is done, than you can either turn it, to let it brown from the other side, or you put in on a plate right away. Put the compote on a quarter of the crepe and create a wedge shape through folding in half lengthwise, then in half again width wise. Dust with a lot of powdered sugar and enjoy yourself!



No comments:

Post a Comment